In the booking management module there are 7 main customer document types:
- Customer Itinerary
- Customer Quotation,
- Customer Booking Confirmation,
- Customer Receipt,
- Customer Invoice,
- Customer Refund,
- Customer Credit Note.
Custom letters can be configured as a version of the booking confirmation. However, it is also possible to create different versions of each main document type.
For example, you normally use the booking confirmation to inform your customers that their trip is booked. But you can also create an alternative version of the booking confirmation to be used as a deposit and then as a balance (due and/or overdue) reminder.
The advantage of creating an alternative version of a document type is that you can customize the document footer text, the document attachment name, and the email body.
To create an alternative type of any main document, follow the below steps:
- Launch the BMM application, and from the top menu select Options > Documents. If this option is greyed out for you, contact your Dolphin administrator who will need to tweak your security settings.
- You will display the Document Search dialog:
In the Document Type field, type: %booking conf% or %quotation%.
In the Alternative Type field, type: normal.
- Retrieve the record and you will display the Document Setup dialog:
Copy the File path and then select the Edit button.
- You will display the Document Alternative Search dialog:
In the Name field, delete “normal” and select the Add button.
- You will display the Add Document Alternative dialog: in the Name field, type the title of the customisable letter template. For example: Balance reminder or Balance Overdue Reminder.
Select OK, close the Document Alternative Search dialog and then the Document Setup dialog.
- In the Document Search dialog, search for the new alternative type you just created by entering a key word in the Alternative Type For example:
Remember to deselect the Hide Inactive Document Alternatives checkbox as at this stage the new document sub-type is inactive (because the document file path field is still empty).
- Retrieve the document record: the File path field is empty.
- Paste the path you copied from the Booking confirmation
- By entering a path into the File path field, you made this document alternative type active. You can now alter the footer text and email body to make them suitable to the purpose of this document sub-type.
- To customize the email body with minimal effort, make use of our mail merge tags.
- This new alternative type will be available for selection in the Print dialog when you generate a document from within a folder:
and also within a bulk printing document query template: