There are three different ways in which customers and their data can be purged from the Dolphin system.
1. Manually (individual client profiles)
BMM users can manually set individual client profiles to be forgotten by using the Forget button in the Client Search dialog. This method caters for the scenario where a client requests that their details be removed:
2. Manually (multiple client profiles)
Users can manually forget all the client profiles that are eligible to be forgotten via Bulk Operations > Customer Operations > Forget Clients.
The Forget Clients dialog shows how many client profiles have been partially or fully forgotten to date and also the last executed date:
When clicking the Forget button, the eligibility of client profiles to be forgotten will be determined by the below system settings:
3. Automated purge job
The Forget Customer Profiles task can also be executed via Bulk Operations > Scheduled Task Manager as an automated nightly job.
In this case, the task will be executed as an automated nightly job against the database to forget eligible clients:
The eligibility of customer profiles to be forgotten will be determined by the below system settings:
What happens when a customer profile is eligible to be 'forgotten'?
When the 'forget client' process is initiated via methods 2 or 3 above, Dolphin will only purge data from customer profiles that are eligible to be forgotten.
As mentioned above, eligibility is determined by two configurable criteria set in the booking management module, via Options > System Settings:
- When the forget functionality is initiated, Dolphin scans all customer profiles to find those which have been Inactive, i.e. with no booking activity for a certain number of years or longer. This criteria is based on the value configured in the Automatically Forget Inactive Client Profiles After X Years setting.
- Any profiles found to be Inactive are deemed eligible to be forgotten. These profiles will then undergo a second check to determine if there has been any recent financial activity. This criteria is based on the value configured in the Retain Forgotten Client's Name and Address for Y years after the last financial transaction setting.
- The profiles found to have recent financial activity will then be Partially Forgotten.
- Those found to have no recent financial activity will be Fully Forgotten.
For example, using the values highlighted in the image above:
- Customer profiles with no bookings within the last 4 years and does have financial activity within the last 7 years will be Partially Forgotten.
- Customer profiles with no bookings within the last 4 years and has no financial activity within the last 7 years will be Fully Forgotten.
A partially forgotten profile will be deleted and will retain the name and address in the profile, but all other information will be removed except for the client ID number.
A fully forgotten profile will be deleted and all information including the name and address will be removed except for the client ID number. The Last Name field will be populated with the word Forgotten followed by the client ID number.
Example of a fully forgotten profile:
Searching for forgotten profiles
- All forgotten profiles are deleted, so to search for a partially forgotten profile using the customer name, both the Include Deleted Items and Include Partially Forgotten checkboxes in the Client Search dialog must be ticked.
- It is not possible to search for fully forgotten profiles.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org